How Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search
Military Active Duty & Spouses

Military Personal Property and Local Vehicle Registration Exemption

If your vehicle is registered in Virginia, you may be exempt from the local vehicle registration (LVR) fee and personal property taxes on your vehicle(s). Active duty military personnel with a legal residence other than Virginia are exempt from the LVR fee and personal property taxes as allowed by United States Code, Title 50, Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act of 1940.
The Military Spouse's Residency Relief Act amended the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act of 1940 on November 11, 2009 by extending the exemption to active duty military members' spouses if (i) the service member is present in Virginia in compliance with military orders; (ii) the spouse is in Virginia solely to be with the service member; and (iii) the spouse maintains legal residence in another state that is the same as the active duty military member's. Effective January 1, 2009, vehicles may be co-owned with the active duty military member or solely owned by the member's spouse.
If you are active duty military, live in Dinwiddie, and your legal residence is not Virginia, you are required to provide the Dinwiddie Commissioner of the Revenue a copy of a current leave and earnings statement (LES) to receive the exemption for both the local vehicle registration fee and personal property taxes on your vehicle(s). If you are the spouse of an active duty member and would like to apply for exemption, you must complete an exemption affidavit and submit it with your spouse's LES to qualify for the exemption. The affidavit must be an original.
Owners of previously exempted vehicles are sent reminder letters to re-qualify in December. The Commissioner of the Revenue identifies exemptions in December and is required to re-qualify exemptions each year.

County Connect