Marriage Celebrant - Clergy and Minister

Clergy Requirements


  1. Complete the Affidavit and Order Form and file in the Clerk's Office
  2. Present a copy of his/her ordination papers as a minister or local minister's license. If you have a minister’s license you will need a letter from your church showing that you are a regularly appointed pastor in your denomination.
  3. Document of recent date (less than 30 days old) from his/her superior or church board stating that he/she is in good standing with the church for which he/she is ordained.
    • There is no fee for this service.


  1. Bring the required paperwork listed above to the Dinwiddie Circuit Court at:
     Dinwiddie Circuit Court
     14008 Boydton Plank Road
     Dinwiddie, VA 23841
  2. You will sign the affidavit in front of a notary or clerk/deputy clerk.
  3. The Clerk's Office will prepare an order for approval by the Judge.
  4. You will be mailed a certified copy of the order of appointment.