About Social Services
The Dinwiddie Department of Social Services is an agency that serves the County of Dinwiddie. Our mission is to provide benefits and services to the citizens of our community based on programs established by local, state, and federal laws and policies. Some examples of these programs are child and adult services, foster care and adoption services, employment services, SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), and TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). The board, which comprises six members, governs the Department of Social Services
Our agency does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, disability, religion, national origin or political beliefs. Dinwiddie Social Services is an equal opportunity provider.
In accordance with the Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (Federal Relay Service), or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Our vision is to be the leader in providing exceptional and innovative social services.
People helping people through compassion, integrity, and respect while promoting self-sufficiency.
We believe that:
- Diversity enriches our lives
- Each person has the right to live and work in a safe and healthy environment
- All people have the ability to achieve their full potential
Our actions are guided by:
- Commitment to the highest standard of service
- Respect and trust for customers and colleagues
- Empathy for others
- Innovation in the provision of services
- Good stewardship of our resources
- Ethics, integrity and accountability in all we say and do
Call Center for Benefit Programs
- Ph: (804) 469-4524
Get help online at CommonHelp
Call to report changes to Active Cases: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Food Stamps (SNAP – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), and Medicaid.
General Information & Phone Numbers
Employment opportunities are posted on the following sites:
- Virginia Department of Social Services
- View a complete list of state holidays
Dinwiddie County Numbers
- Adult Abuse-Reporting - (804) 469-4524
- After-hours - 1 (888) 832-3858
- Child Abuse-Reporting – (804) 469-4524
- After-hours - 1 (800) 552-7096
- Courts (Juvenile) – (804) 469-4533
- General District Court – (804) 469-4533
- Head Start - (804) 469-4495
- Health Department – (804) 469-3771
- Housing Office – (804) 353-6503 or VHDA 1 (877) 428-8844
- Mental Health - (804) 862-8000
- Police - (804) 469-3755 or 911 for emergencies ONLY
- School Board - (804) 469-4391
- Victim Witness Program - (804) 469-5384
- WIC Office – (804) 469-3771