How to Apply
You may apply by completing an application and leaving it at or mailing it to our agency located at:
14012 Boydton Plank Road
P.O. Box 107
Dinwiddie, VA 23841
You may also go online to our new automated system to download from the Virginia Department of Social Services.
All information that you provide is confidential. Information will only be given to persons directly connected with administering or enforcing provisions of the programs for which you apply.
To be eligible for assistance, applicants must meet certain general requirements. For most programs you must:
- Live in Virginia
- Apply in the city or county where you live
- Be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant
- Meet the specific requirements of each program for which you are applying
Before we can determine whether you are eligible, most of the information that you give must be verified. Eligibility will be based on your income, resources, the number of people for whom you are applying, and for some programs, certain household expenses. You will be notified in writing as soon as a decision about your application has been made.
Each program has different verification requirements. The most important things for you to bring to your first interview are:
- Proof of any income (money) that you have received in the month before the month that you are applying in and proof of any income (money) for the month of application
- Identification and Social Security Numbers for each person that you are apply for
The information that you give may be matched against federal, state, and local records including the Virginia Employment Commission, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and the Department of Corrections, to determine if it is accurate and truthful.