Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation
Adult Protective Services provides investigative services to individuals age 60 years old and older and incapacitated persons age 18 years old and older who are at risk or alleged to be abused, neglected, or exploited.
Examples of abuse, neglect, and exploitation include but are not limited to:
- Causing intentional pain or injury
- Withholding or failing to provide medication, food, or water
- A caretaker refuses to or fails to take the adult to a medical appointment
- An adult is physically restrained as a means of punishment or for the convenience of the caretaker
- Emotional abuse such as yelling, belittling, or threatening bodily harm
- The caretaker or person responsible for managing the adult's finances uses the money for his or her own purposes without the consent of the adult
- Sexual abuse, which includes any form of sexual contact (intercourse, exposing body parts, touching, etc.) without consent
How to Report
If you suspect that an elderly or disabled adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited, you may call the Dinwiddie County Department of Social Services at (804) 469-4524, between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm on weekdays. After hours, on weekends, or holidays, please call the Virginia Department of Social Services at 1 (888) 832-3858. Reports may be made anonymously.