Restricted Licenses for traffic or criminal convictions
Certain traffic and criminal convictions by Virginia Code require operator's license suspension. Each drug related conviction results in a mandatory 6-month license suspension.
Instructions for requesting a Restricted License
- Fill out the Restricted License Application Form (PDF). The application must be completed for all cases.
- If the Restricted License has been previously granted in court, then the clerk will prepare the Order for the Judge to sign.
- If the Restricted License has not been previously granted, then the clerk will present the Restricted License Application Form (PDF) to the Judge for approval. If approved the clerk will then prepare the Order for the Judge to sign.
- Once the order has been signed we will notify you that the order is ready and you will need to come to the Clerk's Office to sign it and pick it up.
- After you receive the order granting you a Restricted License you must take it to DMV, who will issue you a Restricted License to be carried for the duration of the suspension.
- 6Once the suspension has expired, it is your responsibility to go back to DMV to get your license reinstated. DMV may have other requirements that you have to comply with before your license is reinstated.