Marriage License Application
- Fill out the Marriage Application in the Clerk's Office.
- Both the bride and groom are required to come to the Clerk’s Office together with the following items:
- $30 fee for the license.
- Photo ID for both parties.
- There is a 4% fee for debit and credit card payments(Visa/Mastercard only).
- If one party is not able to come to the Clerk's Office, he or she may fill out this affidavit (PDF) in front of a notary. The party that is coming to the Clerk's Office must bring the original signed affidavit (PDF).
- When you are in the office:
- If you didn't fill out the application online, you will enter your personal information into the Marriage Kiosk.
- You will pay the $30.00 fee.
- The clerk will give you an oath to sign and two licenses and a return envelope to give to your marriage officiant
- After the wedding, the marriage officiant has five business days to return the two licenses to the Clerk’s Office.
- There are two ways to receive a copy of your Marriage License:
- In order to change your name with DMV and Social Security Administration, you must submit a certified copy of your marriage license.
- The clerk forwards a copy of all marriage licenses to Department of Vital Records each month.
- Marriage Information Handout (PDF)
- The Marriage License is only good for 60 days.
- The Marriage License is good anywhere in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- You can apply for your Marriage License at any Clerk's Office in the Commonwealth of Virginia as long as you plan on getting married in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Marriage in Virginia, this page contains information from the Virginia State Bar.
- The Clerk's Office only issues the license and records it after you have been married by a duly appointed officiant. We are not authorized to perform marriages. Please contact a minister or other licensed Marriage Celebrant.