Calculating the Tax
The Dinwiddie County Board of Supervisors establishes personal property tax rates each year during the regular budget process. The current tax rate for most all vehicles is $4.75 per $100 of assessed value. If a vehicle has situs for taxation in Dinwiddie, the county computes the tax by dividing the assessment by 100 and multiplying the result by the appropriate tax rate. The tax is then prorated, if necessary, based on the number of months that the vehicle is in the county. For qualified personal use vehicles, the tax bill is reduced by the commonwealth’s Personal Property Tax Relief (PPTR) percentage, which is also set by the Dinwiddie County Board of Supervisors annually. The current percentage of personal property tax relief is 37 percent and is provided only on the first $20,000 of a vehicle’s value.
For an estimate of the tax on your vehicle, contact the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue.
For more information about vehicle personal property tax rates, please refer to the Personal Property Tax and Decals Frequently Asked Questions.
Example for a Personal Use Vehicle Valued at $20,000 or Less
- Assessed value of the vehicle is $8,000
- Apply the $4.75 tax rate: ($4.75 / 100) x $8,000 = $380
- Calculate personal property relief: 37% (for 2019) x $392 = $140.60
- Reduce the tax by the relief amount: $392 - $140.60 = $239.40
- Annual Tax Amount = $239.40
Example for a Personal Use Vehicle Valued at More than $20,000
- Assessed value of vehicle is $25,000
- Apply the $4.75 tax rate: ($4.75 / 100) x $25,000 = $1188
- Calculate personal property relief on 1st $20,000 of value: ($4.75 / 100) x $20,000 x 37% (for 2019) = $351.50
- Reduce the tax by the relief amount: $1188 - $351.50 = $836.50
- Annual Tax Amount = $836.50